Dental cleanings remove bacteria, plaque, and tartar from your teeth and gums. Professional dental cleanings and regular check-ups are essential for maintaining your oral health.
Taking care of your oral health is crucial to maintaining a healthy smile. At Black Point Dental in Honolulu, HI, we offer dental cleanings and regular check-ups to help our patients achieve optimal oral health.
There are three types of dental cleanings: prophylaxis, gross debridement, and scale and root planning.
- Prophylaxis dental cleaning is a regular cleaning that removes plaque and tartar from the teeth and gum line.
- Gross debridement dental cleaning is for patients who haven't had a cleaning in a while and have a significant amount of tartar buildup. This type of dental cleaning is ideal for people who last visited the dentist over a year ago.
- Scale and root planing is a deep cleaning procedure used when there is a significant buildup of tartar and bacteria below the gum line. During this procedure, your gums are numbed, and the dental hygienist cleans built-up bacteria and plaque. This procedure is for people with mild to moderate periodontitis.
Regular dental cleanings have many benefits, including early detection of decay, bad breath prevention, cavity and tooth loss prevention, and teeth staining prevention.
Dental cleanings also help maintain good oral hygiene and prevent gum disease.
The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends dental cleaning twice yearly. However, depending on their oral health, some patients may need more frequent cleanings.
A dental cleaning typically takes 30 minutes to an hour. During a check-up, the dentist will examine your mouth, learn about your lifestyle and dietary habits, review your oral health, and rule out any dental concerns.
It's important to see your dentist if you experience any of the following symptoms or signs:
- Bleeding gums
- Sensitivity to hot or cold foods and drinks
- Bad breath
- Loose teeth
You should also see your dentist twice yearly for regular checkups, even if you feel fine.
During your regular check-up, here is what you can expect from Dr. Ferguson:
- Questions about your recent medical history
- Questions about your lifestyle and dietary habits to diagnose dental issues
- Examination of your teeth and gums to rule out any potential dental problems
Preventing dental decay can be achieved through good oral hygiene habits, including:
- Brushing your teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste
- Flossing daily to remove plaque and food particles from between your teeth
- Using mouthwash to kill bacteria in your mouth
- Avoiding sugary and acidic foods and drinks that can erode teeth enamel
- Drinking plenty of water to help wash away food particles and bacteria
- Chewing sugar-free gum to stimulate saliva flow, which helps protect teeth from decay
- Considering dental sealants to protect your teeth from decay
- Visiting your dentist regularly for cleanings and check-ups
- Considering fluoride treatment to help strengthen your teeth and prevent decay
Practice good oral hygiene habits consistently to maintain good oral health.
Black Point Dental offers dental cleanings and regular check-ups to help patients care for their teeth and prevent cavities. Dr. Ferguson and the Black Point Dental team can handle all your dental needs.
We're committed to providing our patients with high-quality dental care at Black Point Dental in Honolulu, HI. Contact us today at (808) 955-5922 to schedule an appointment and schedule a dental cleaning and regular check-up.