Custom-made night guards and sports guards can help protect your teeth from damage sustained while sleeping or during sports. Custom-made dental guards are composed of plastic and are specifically designed to fit the unique shape of your teeth.
These dental guards are commonly suggested for individuals who suffer from teeth grinding, breathing difficulties during sleep, or athletes who wish to prevent mouth injuries and require dental protection.
Custom sports guards are great for anyone engaged in athletic endeavors.
Black Point Dental in Honolulu, HI, offers numerous preventative dentistry options.
Two types of dental guards are commonly used: night guards and sports guards.
- Night guards: These are worn during sleep to protect your teeth from grinding or clenching. Night guards can also treat TMJ symptoms (temporomandibular joint disorder) and sleep apnea.
- Sports guards: These are worn during athletic activities to protect your teeth from impact and injury. Sports guards are commonly used in contact sports like football, hockey, and rugby.
Night and sports guards can be customized to fit your needs. Dr. Ferguson will evaluate your case and recommend the best option for you.
Custom-made dental guards offer greater protection and comfort than over-the-counter guards, which are often less effective and less comfortable.
Bruxism, also known as teeth grinding, is widespread among children and adults. This condition can cause headaches and pain in the jaw and teeth due to the pressure applied to the teeth while sleeping.
Various treatments are available for bruxism, including stress management, sleep medication, and therapy. The dental approach to treating bruxism focuses on minimizing the harm caused to the mouth and teeth.
Dr. Ferguson will assess your symptoms and recommend a customized dental guard to protect your teeth.
Dental night guards provide a range of benefits for patients, including:
- Reducing the harmful effects of teeth grinding
- Relieving headaches caused by teeth clenching
- Decreasing jaw, molar, and cheek pain
- Potentially preventing air obstructions during sleep
- Potentially reducing snoring
- Protecting teeth and jaws from the pressure applied during grinding
- Alleviating jaw pain caused by TMJ syndrome
- Being a removable and comfortable appliance
By wearing a dental night guard, patients can protect their teeth from damage caused by bruxism, alleviate associated pain and discomfort, and improve their overall sleep quality.
The guard is customized to fit comfortably in the mouth, making it easy to wear overnight.
Customized sports guards offer a range of benefits to athletes, including:
- Providing proper dental protection during contact sports
- Not causing difficulty in speaking, unlike generic sports guards
- Reducing the risk of jaw, teeth, and cheek injuries during all sports, even for athletes who wear braces
- Optimizing oxygen flow, which can enhance the athlete's performance
By wearing a customized sports guard, athletes can protect their teeth and jaws from potential injuries during sports without compromising their ability to speak or breathe comfortably.
The guard is designed to fit the athlete's mouth perfectly, providing maximum protection and comfort during physical activity. With these benefits, athletes can feel confident and secure while performing at their best.
To care for your dental guards and extend their lifespan up to 10 years, rinse them with cold water, wash them before and after use with a soft-bristled toothbrush, and store them in a clean, dry container. If you experience discomfort, see Dr. Ferguson for a check-up and possible replacement.
To get a custom night guard or sports guard, Dr. Ferguson will assess your dental health during a consultation. Impressions of your upper and lower teeth will be taken and sent to a laboratory to create molds for your custom guards.
Dr. Ferguson will adjust the guards to ensure a proper fit once they are ready.
At Black Point Dental in Honolulu, HI, we are committed to providing our patients with personalized preventative dental care, including custom night guards and sports guards.
If you need a custom night guard or sports guard and would like to schedule a consultation with Dr. Ferguson, please call us at (808) 955-5922 or request an appointment online. Our team is here to help you maintain healthy and functional teeth.